We are staffed weekdays during the semester and summer sessions. Holiday hours may vary.
Summer 2018 hours are:
We are closed for Memorial Day and Independence Day.
Using the Makerspace
Interested in exploring the Makerspace? Have an idea to use microcontrollers or 3D modeling and printing technology to enhance your research or differently interrogate your assumptions? Check out our printer availability on our PRINTER CALENDAR. Stop by to talk to one of our Technologists, attend our maker workshops, or contact us at email@example.com to schedule an appointment with a Makerspace Technologist or Scholars’ Lab staff to discuss your planned project.
The Scholars’ Lab Makerspace is a place for tinkering and experimentation with technologies like desktop fabrication, physical computing, and augmented reality. Open to everyone, we specialize in applications and research questions in the humanities and arts.
Informed by a rich tradition of Library support for exploring materiality in Special Collections and the Fine Arts Library Materials Collection, and for participating in the physical-made-digital in both the Scholars’ Lab and the Digital Media Lab in Clemons, our Makerspace Technologists can help faculty and student researchers evaluate new approaches to their work, and consider both the hows and the whys of making.
Learning how to do something with humanities technology gives us a more informed perspective on why we do things in the humanities. Both are vital.
Catherine Addington: 3D Printing, Digital Humanities, Sewing/Textiles
Andrew Carl: 3D Printing, Electronics, Wearables
Nic Dalton: 3D Printing, Modelling
Brandon Phan: 3D Printing
Marysia Serafin: 3D Printing, Modelling, Electronics
Grant Kim: 3D Printing, Modelling
Amrita Singh: 3D Printing
Sean Tennant: 3D Printing
Jordan Buysse: 3D Printing
Scholars’ Lab Staff Technologists
Jeremy Boggs: 3D Printing, Electronics, Programming, Digital Humanities
Shane Lin: 3D Printing, Programming, Digital Humanities
Laura Miller: 3D Printing, Photogrammetry, Digital Humanities
Ammon Shepherd: 3D Printing, Electronics, Programming, Digital Humanities
Maggie Nunley: Fiber Arts, Sewing/Textiles
Erin Pappas: Fiber Arts, Sewing/Textiles
What’s in the Makerspace?
- FDM 3D Printers: MakerBot Replicator 2, Ultimaker 2, Lulzbot TAZ 5
- SLA 3D Printer: Formlabs Form 2 (available for use with staff assistance only)
- Assortment of FDM 3D printer filaments
- Sparkfun Arduino kits, with Arduino UNO boards and an assortment of Arduino shields.
- Raspberry Pi
- Bernini sewing machines + surger
- Basic supplies for wearables and tactile computing
- Conductive thread
- Conductive fabric
- Sewing needles and thread
- Quilting/cross-stitch frames
- High-end Mac and PC with maker software installed
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Agisoft PhotoScan
- ArcGIS, qGIS
- Blender, MeshMixer, Tinkercad, SketchUp, Maya
- Cura, Makerbot Desktop
- Oculus Rift DK1 Development Kits
- Microsoft HoloLens
- Google Cardboard classroom set
- Wacom Cintiq 22HD graphics tablet
- Camera equipment:
- Canon EOS 6D DSLR camera with 24mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/2.0 lenses
- Samsung NX1000 MILC camera with kit lens
- Tool box with basic hand tools (wrenches, screwdrivers. etc.)
- Soldering irons, solder, helping hands
- Digital multimeters
- Spare parts for basic electronics tinkering (breadboards, wire, switches, sensors)
All equipment is maintained for use in the Makerspace and is not available for check out at this time.
Don’t see the equipment you need here? Visit http://makergrounds.virginia.edu for other shops, labs, and places for making at UVA.
If you have any questions or to want to schedule a printer or a consultation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. To see our open hours and printer reservations, visit http://scholarslab.org/makerspace/.
What’s in the Scholars’ Lab public space?
- High-end desktop computers (PC and Mac)
- List of available software: http://guides.lib.virginia.edu/LibSoftware, plus:
- Abbyy FineReader
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Scanners (flatbed, large format, sheet feeder) and OCR software
- Media:Scape Conference & Presentation Lounge (contact email@example.com to reserve the presentation space)
- Egg Chair