Are you an enthusiastic Web developer with an interest in the humanities or cultural heritage? UVa Library seeks a Web Applications Specialist to help develop software in our internationally-recognized Scholars’ Lab. The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, eager to work collaboratively, and stays involved with the latest Web and digital humanities technologies.
We’re seeking someone passionate about tackling technical problems in the digital humanities – preferably a person with both a technical and liberal arts background, prepared to build next-generation DH interfaces and tools. Our new Web Application Specialist will also be able to take advantage of the “20% time” that all Department of Digital Research & Scholarship faculty and staff are granted to pursue professional development and their own (often collaborative) R&D projects. This is a full-time, permanent position at UVa.
Web Applications Specialist
As a Web Applications Specialist reporting to the Head of R&D for the Scholars’ Lab, you will be responsible for building, testing, and debugging code, developing documentation, and assisting at troubleshooting. You should possess an attention to detail and a high level of accountability and responsibility. We’re looking for someone who enjoys technical challenges, likes to figure out how things work, and stays involved in the latest Web and digital humanities technologies. You will need to be able to fit in to a creative and collaborative environment. Want to join us as we create great scholarly interfaces?
- 2-3 years of experience developing web applications with tech skills demonstrated via one or more of the following:
- your open source work
- your github repository
- your awesome blog
- your code samples from side projects
- or your production web site (handling real traffic)
- ability to work with technical and non-technical collaborators thanks to your great communications skills
- experience with software development (maybe even including Agile methodologies)
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build, test, and debug code
- Write test cases
- Estimate coding projects
- Provide consultation on collaborative projects
- Develop documentation
- Assist in the debugging and system troubleshooting for existing software written in a variety of languages and platform
- 1+ years full-time experience with web development (Rails and PHP preferred)
- Experience with Test Driven Development (Shoulda, RSpec, PHPUnit)
- Experience with relational database management systems (MySQL, Postgresql)
- Familiarity with version control systems
- Understanding of software life cycle
- Strong foundation in OO programming and practices
- Experience with Omeka a plus
If this sounds like you…
We encourage you to APPLY FOR THIS JOB. Salary is commensurate with experience, and expected to range between approximately $43,500 and $75,500 per annum. We’re looking to fill this position quickly, so please don’t delay!
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.