Watermarking and OCR-ing Your Images

In the process of my dissertation research I have accumulated over 2,000 images, nearly all scans of documents. One goal of my dissertation is to make these documents open and available (where appropriate) in an Omeka repository. In order to more correctly attribute these documents to the archives where I got them, I need to…. Continue reading “Watermarking and OCR-ing Your Images”.

Dancing with Ruby

As the Praxis Team grapples with the necessity of making decisions (difficult decisions!) about our priorities when it comes to creating at tangible product between now and May, I continue to find new uses for Ruby in my own non-Prism-related work. Last week a choreographer friend asked for help with a problem that came up…. Continue reading “Dancing with Ruby”.

Ruby Grading 2.0

I just recently posted my experiment with making a Ruby program that you can use for doing your own grading. I have since made several improvements upon the first draft of the code, so I present to you Ruby Grading 2.0. The changes: 1) I converted the code to incorporate classes, which was a huge…. Continue reading “Ruby Grading 2.0”.

Grading in Ruby

Chris recently posted his very exciting experiment that uses Ruby to create music theory worksheets for his students. Inspired by this, I have been playing around on Ruby with much more modest aims: I wanted to use Ruby to do my grading for me. I always do my grading with an Excel spreadsheet and a…. Continue reading “Grading in Ruby”.

Fizzing, Buzzing

Since Gwen just posted her solution to the Fizz Buzz homework assignment,  I thought that I would throw mine up here as well. Here is my solution. It’s pretty similar to Gwen’s take on the problem. I just switched the order of a couple things and used a couple shortcuts. I also apparently have a penchant…. Continue reading “Fizzing, Buzzing”.

Mountain Lion and RVM

I recently upgraded my computer to use the latest version of OS X (Mountain Lion) and I ran in to a problem with the rvm package manager. Basically I would get to the point of actually compiling the version of Ruby, and get this nasty error: Error running ‘env CFLAGS=-I/Users/wsg4w/.rvm/usr/include LDFLAGS=-L/Users/wsg4w/.rvm/usr/lib ./configure –enable-shared –disable-install-doc –prefix=/Users/wsg4w/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p327’,…. Continue reading “Mountain Lion and RVM”.

Ruby Cat Poem

AA                  line tabbed mmmmmmmmmmmmm nononono                         mmmmmmmmmmmmm m doof cat Cat a in Catnip  Grass I     llllllllllllllllllll split a               tsil do     II         Fishies                     I IIIIIIII —Learn Ruby The Hard Way, Ex. 10, modified to create cat poem (source)

Geocoding for Neatline – Part I

Recently I was asked if there was a way to import place names in connection with lat/lon points. Twitter’s character limitation does’t provide an adequate format to respond, and this technique can be quite useful outside of Neatline too, so I thought I would dive in a bit and explain a method to can get…. Continue reading “Geocoding for Neatline – Part I”.

Prism and Praxis Reflections

It’s been a whirlwind of a year, but we finally made it! We have a fully functional tool, we’ve fulfilled our goals from our charter, and we can all look back on everything we’ve learned this year and be astonished by how far we’ve come. Although I wasn’t an absolute newbie to the DH and…. Continue reading “Prism and Praxis Reflections”.

The Last Days of Development: Jasmine, Devise, and Visualization Tweaks!

We’re getting close to deploying, so we’re making all the necessary tweaks to having Prism ready to go! For this past week, that meant writing Jasmine tests, creating error messages for Devise, and tweaking the functionality of the visualization page. Jasmine is a BDD framework for testing javascript.  It basically does for javascript what RSpec does…. Continue reading “The Last Days of Development: Jasmine, Devise, and Visualization Tweaks!”.