Several years ago I worked on a project to take recordings made of William Faulkner while he was the Writer-in-Residence at the University of Virginia in 1957 and 1958. The project, Faulkner at Virginia, transcribed the audio and then keyed the main components of the audio to the text using TEI. In order to provide…. Continue reading “Problem Solving with HTML5 Audio”.
[Cross-posted from dclure.org] Over the course of the last couple months, I’ve been using Derick Bailey’s superb Marionette framework for Backbone.js to build the new version of Neatline. Marionette sits somewhere in the hazy zone between a library and a framework – it’s really a collection of architectural components for large front-end applications that can…. Continue reading “Restarting Marionette applications”.
[Cross-posted with dclure.org] Last week, I wrote about the some of the new functionality in Neatline that makes it possible to take SVG documents created in vector-editing programs like Adobe Illustrator and drag them out as spatial geometry on the map. Under the hood, this involves converting the raw SVG markup – which encodes geometry…. Continue reading “SVG-to-WKT: Converting vector graphics into spatial coordinates”.
[cross-posted at katinarogers.com] The SCI study on humanities graduate programs and career preparation is humming along, and while survey responses come in, I’ve been working on determining how best to translate the data into meaningful graphics. After a lot of experimenting, I think the winner is d3.js. Short for for Data-Driven Documents, D3 is Michael…. Continue reading “Data visualizations: Learning d3.js”.
Part of mission here at the Scholars’ Lab is provide guidance for folks working on digital projects. As such, I do my best to keep up with trends in software development. For a while I’ve just been adding these to my delicious account to make it a bit easier to find references later. However, recent…. Continue reading “DH Dev Picks”.
- Starter kit for considering a DH dissertation
- Transcription Is Complicated
- All About the Archive: Guest Teaching at Washington and Lee
- Spring 2018 UVa Library GIS Workshop Series
- Fellowship Calls and Grad Student Professional Development
- Call for Spring 2018 Makerspace Technologist Applications
- First Steps with NLP and a Collection of Amiri Baraka’s Poetry
- “All of the Questions:” A Recap of the 2017 Bucknell University Digital Scholarship Pre-Conference
- My Experience Leading a Workshop on Text Analysis at Washington and Lee University
- Learning to Augment Reality