Background Did you know that Charlottesville once had streetcars? Since moving to town, I’ve heard tales of the once-thriving transportation system that connected Fry’s Spring, UVa and downtown. It wasn’t until an inquiry came in from a student looking for GIS data for the system that I investigated it. I first found the following 1890 map which…. Continue reading “Charlottesville’s Street Car System in GIS”.
While going through our archives of scanned maps, we recently ran across a copy of Frank A. Massie’s 1907 “A new and historical map of Albemarle County, Virginia” [Special Collections, University of Virginia Library], commonly referred to as the Massie map, which contains a wealth of detailed historical information for the county in which the…. Continue reading “The 1907 Massie map of Albemarle Co.”.
- Walt Whitman’s Jack Engle and Lola Montez: New from Collective Biographies of Women
- Welcome Senior Developer Shane Lin!
- Fall 2017 UVa Library GIS Workshop Series
- What can digital humanities tell us about Character?
- Transcribing Typography with Markdown
- Neatline 2.5.2
- Job Opening: Curious about focusing on DH development?
- LAMI Summer Fellows 2017
- What Should You Do in a Week?
- Why To Teach Students to Not-Read Novels