Background Did you know that Charlottesville once had streetcars? Since moving to town, I’ve heard tales of the once-thriving transportation system that connected Fry’s Spring, UVa and downtown. It wasn’t until an inquiry came in from a student looking for GIS data for the system that I investigated it. I first found the following 1890 map which…. Continue reading “Charlottesville’s Street Car System in GIS”.
While going through our archives of scanned maps, we recently ran across a copy of Frank A. Massie’s 1907 “A new and historical map of Albemarle County, Virginia” [Special Collections, University of Virginia Library], commonly referred to as the Massie map, which contains a wealth of detailed historical information for the county in which the…. Continue reading “The 1907 Massie map of Albemarle Co.”.
- Spring 2018 UVa Library GIS Workshop Series
- Fellowship Calls and Grad Student Professional Development
- Call for Spring 2018 Makerspace Technologist Applications
- First Steps with NLP and a Collection of Amiri Baraka’s Poetry
- “All of the Questions:” A Recap of the 2017 Bucknell University Digital Scholarship Pre-Conference
- My Experience Leading a Workshop on Text Analysis at Washington and Lee University
- Learning to Augment Reality
- Measured Unrest in the Poetry of the Black Arts Movement
- 3D Printed Enclosures with OpenSCAD
- GIS Day – Wednesday, November 15