Background Did you know that Charlottesville once had streetcars? Since moving to town, I’ve heard tales of the once-thriving transportation system that connected Fry’s Spring, UVa and downtown. It wasn’t until an inquiry came in from a student looking for GIS data for the system that I investigated it. I first found the following 1890 map which…. Continue reading “Charlottesville’s Street Car System in GIS”.
While going through our archives of scanned maps, we recently ran across a copy of Frank A. Massie’s 1907 “A new and historical map of Albemarle County, Virginia” [Special Collections, University of Virginia Library], commonly referred to as the Massie map, which contains a wealth of detailed historical information for the county in which the…. Continue reading “The 1907 Massie map of Albemarle Co.”.
- Hearing Silent Woolf
- Novice struggles and expert blindness: How my discomfort with PHP will make me a better instructor
- Printing Things That Print: A Miniature Hand-Press Project
- Watermarking and OCR-ing Your Images
- Neatline 2.4.0
- Something about PHP
- Adventures in Converting Subversion to Git
- Monkey Mind
- On the Shelf
- Call for Applications, Graduate Fellowship in the Digital Humanities