Background Did you know that Charlottesville once had streetcars? Since moving to town, I’ve heard tales of the once-thriving transportation system that connected Fry’s Spring, UVa and downtown. It wasn’t until an inquiry came in from a student looking for GIS data for the system that I investigated it. I first found the following 1890 map which…. Continue reading “Charlottesville’s Street Car System in GIS”.
While going through our archives of scanned maps, we recently ran across a copy of Frank A. Massie’s 1907 “A new and historical map of Albemarle County, Virginia” [Special Collections, University of Virginia Library], commonly referred to as the Massie map, which contains a wealth of detailed historical information for the county in which the…. Continue reading “The 1907 Massie map of Albemarle Co.”.
- Poems with Pattern and VADER, Part 1: Quincy Troupe
- Augmenting an Iconic Structure: The Rotunda
- Announcing 2018-2019 Fellows!
- Writing in Public (on Purpose) at Washington & Lee University
- Starter kit for considering a DH dissertation
- Transcription Is Complicated
- All About the Archive: Guest Teaching at Washington and Lee
- Spring 2018 UVa Library GIS Workshop Series
- Fellowship Calls and Grad Student Professional Development
- Call for Spring 2018 Makerspace Technologist Applications