Background Did you know that Charlottesville once had streetcars? Since moving to town, I’ve heard tales of the once-thriving transportation system that connected Fry’s Spring, UVa and downtown. It wasn’t until an inquiry came in from a student looking for GIS data for the system that I investigated it. I first found the following 1890 map which…. Continue reading “Charlottesville’s Street Car System in GIS”.
While going through our archives of scanned maps, we recently ran across a copy of Frank A. Massie’s 1907 “A new and historical map of Albemarle County, Virginia” [Special Collections, University of Virginia Library], commonly referred to as the Massie map, which contains a wealth of detailed historical information for the county in which the…. Continue reading “The 1907 Massie map of Albemarle Co.”.
- A Former Fellow’s New Adventures in Data Science
- 3D Printing Historical Artifacts: Enhancing the Qualities Inherent to the Past
- When Old Technology Meets The New: Accessing Windows 95 CD-ROMs through Wine
- Podcast: James Neal
- Inktober 10/21: When Things Break
- Inktober 10/13: Time Pieces and Graphs
- Inktober 10/5: Three Sketches
- Preserving, Reconstructing, & Teaching in 3D
- Time and Praxis: 2015-2016
- Introducing the 2015-2015 Scholars’ Lab Fellows