Building on a nearly twenty-year history in digital humanities and spatial and data-driven scholarship at the University of Virginia, the Scholars’ Lab has developed great projects and hosted amazing events at UVa Library over the past three years. In addition to our current search for a full-time, permanent Senior Developer, we now have the opportunity to add some UX love to the work of our R&D division.
We’re looking for a Humanities Design (UX) Architect who can create and guide exciting, professional user experiences, is passionate about the quality of his or her HTML and CSS, and wants to be part of a team that does great work in the digital humanities.
Humanities Design (User Experience) Architect
As the Humanities Design Architect of UVa Library’s department of Digital Research and Scholarship, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of effective and inspiring digital resources for teaching and scholarship. We are looking for someone who is highly technically skilled and a talented designer, and who has a deep background in humanities or social science scholarship. This general faculty position in the Scholars’ Lab is for a true “hybrid academic” — someone who can communicate effectively with humanities and social science scholars, help guide the work of graduate students in our digital humanities fellowship program, and focus intently on the presentation and interaction layer for next-generation digital scholarship.
We seek a person who can fit into a fast-paced, interdisciplinary environment where good design truly matters. Because we collaborate as peers with UVa faculty and graduate students, we are looking for someone with a personal research agenda, who will take excellent advantage of the “20% time” all Scholars’ Lab faculty and staff are granted to pursue professional development and their own projects.
This is a two-year, general faculty position, with possibility of renewal. Salary will be commensurate with experience. Benefits are excellent, and include generous funding for continuing education and travel, retirement plans, and 22 days of vacation per year.
- Conduct user research for creating user models
- Drive the interaction process, feature discussions, and functional requirements for Scholars’ Lab projects
- Create wireframes and prototypes
- Conduct informal usability tests
- Work closely with R&D Team
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Passionate about interactive experience across a variety of media (web, mobile) with a strong desire for innovation
- Experience as a project manager or technical team leader on scholarly projects
- Experience with user-centered design patterns and methodologies
- Experience running user testing and conducting accessibility testing
- Comfort with complexity and ambiguity, and a passion for the challenges of the humanities and social sciences
- Experience creating standard user experience deliverables, including
- Site Maps
- Process flows
- Use Cases
- Concept Models
- Interactive prototypes
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Expertise in current design tools
- and a sophisticated personal research agenda related to the user experience of digital humanities and social science projects.
If this sounds like you…
we invite you to APPLY FOR THE JOB!
Consideration of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.