The Common Room of the Scholars’ Lab is open whenever Alderman is, and during the semester our central Makerspace is staffed from 1:00 pm – 7:00 pm, Monday through Thursday and 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm, Friday. Visit the Common Room, Seminar Room (Alderman 423), and Classroom (Alderman 421)! Scholars’ Lab staff offices are nearby, where our grad fellows also have access to a workspace and office.
The Common Room
The Scholars’ Lab Common Room provides twenty computer workstations in both solo and small group/collaborative configurations. Sunny and open, it can be enjoyed as study space as well, with additional seating for about thirty-two people at tables and chairs and another fourteen at the laptop bar with a view of the patio outside. Here is where you will also find our Makerspace.
- Size: seating for 66
- Equipment: 12 Dell workstations with advanced software; flat bed scanners (2 large format, 4 with multi-sheet feed); color and black and white printers.
- Reservations: Typically not reservable, except for major library or university technology-related events. Contact email@example.com for more information.
The Scholars’ Lab Makerspace is a place for tinkering and experimentation with technologies like desktop fabrication, physical computing, and augmented reality. Open to everyone, we specialize in applications and research questions in the humanities and arts.
- Hours: 1:00 pm – 7:00 pm, Monday through Thursday and 1:00 pm – 5:00 pm, Friday, or by appointment
- Size: seating for 8
- Equipment: Makerbot Replicator 2, Ultimaker 2, Lulzbot Taz 5, Arduinos, and a variety of other maker technologies
- Reservations: Stop by to talk to one of our student consultants, attend our maker workshops, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment with Scholars’ Lab staff to discuss your planned project.
The Seminar Room
The Scholars’ Lab seminar room is reserved space for library activities instruction, and when not in use as a classroom is available as open study space. Check the schedule on the door for times when the room is unavailable.
- Size: seating for 20
- Equipment: ceiling-mounted data projector; instructor station w/ audio and video; 2 whiteboards.
- Reservations: Throughout most of the year, this room is available for booking by members of the UVa community on a first-come first-served basis. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
The Classroom is a flexible learning space shared by the Scholars’ Lab and other library departments, providing space for library-related instruction, workshops, invited speakers, and special events. Scholars’ Lab workshops and the speaker series are often held in this room. When not otherwise reserved, this room is available for use as open study space, with seating for 30 people at chairs and tables. Check the schedule on the door for times when the room is unavailable.
- Size: seating for 30 people
- Equipment: 25 Dell laptops; ceiling-mounted data projector; document projector; instructor workstation with desktop, audio, and video.
- Reservations: This room is typically available only for library-related instruction and activities. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.