Cross-posted on the Modern Languages Association (MLA) Committee on Info Tech blog. Successful non-traditional dissertations include a comic book (Nick Sousanis), a hip-hop album (A.D. Carson), code and design without written chapters (me), and the use of digital formats and methods such as a Tumblog counter-narrative (Jade E. Davis) or topic modeling (Lisa Rhody). Are…. Continue reading “Starter kit for considering a DH dissertation”.
In a recent PMLA issue on digital methods, Johanna Drucker concludes her article “Why Distant Reading Isn’t” by claiming that distant reading’s literalness makes it the closest form of reading imaginable. What distant reading lacks is distance. That distance is critical; it is the space between the literal text and the virtual text, between the…. Continue reading “Transcription Is Complicated”.
In this post Lauren Reynolds, a former PhD student in Spanish and Makerspace Technologist, describes her work with Professor Andrea LePage’s course at Washington & Lee. This work is supported by an ASC grant expanding collaboration between Washington & Lee and the Scholars’ Lab and supplemented by W&L’s Mellon-funded grant to support digital humanities in the…. Continue reading “All About the Archive: Guest Teaching at Washington and Lee”.
All sessions are one hour and assume participants have no previous experience using GIS. Sessions will be hands-on with step-by-step tutorials and expert assistance. All sessions will be held on Tuesdays from 10AM to 11AM in the Alderman Electronic Classroom, ALD 421 (adjacent to the Scholars’ Lab) and are free and open to the UVa…. Continue reading “Spring 2018 UVa Library GIS Workshop Series”.
- Starter kit for considering a DH dissertation
- Transcription Is Complicated
- All About the Archive: Guest Teaching at Washington and Lee
- Spring 2018 UVa Library GIS Workshop Series
- Fellowship Calls and Grad Student Professional Development
- Call for Spring 2018 Makerspace Technologist Applications
- First Steps with NLP and a Collection of Amiri Baraka’s Poetry
- “All of the Questions:” A Recap of the 2017 Bucknell University Digital Scholarship Pre-Conference
- My Experience Leading a Workshop on Text Analysis at Washington and Lee University
- Learning to Augment Reality